Nelson Lakes

Nelson Lakes
A beautiful country with beautiful people

Thursday, 31 July 2014

The Module Rectification and the Society Overdose

Kia Ora!

My first semester is well and truly on the way. In to week two and so the routine of University begins.

It started with a bit of a hiccup. Although I collaborated with my international adviser to pick all of my intended modules it appeared we were deceived somewhat by the course descriptions. It turned out however that two (out of four) of the modules I was enrolled on were duplicates of modules I had already taken in Nottingham. I was definitely a little more than concerned about this- I had always come with the intention and expectation not to lose out academically in New Zealand. To resit very similar modules as I had last year would not have been ideal.

Thankfully I have a very approachable tutor back at my home university. Throughout my first week he was quick to help me where he could, mainly in providing feedback to the course content in Nottingham and whether other modules may be appropriate. To get all this information I attended quite a few different lectures in week one as a trial. We prevailed and cemented some new appropriate modules. Thank you for all your help, Steve!

Action shot- the best my camera could manage
So week one was all about the modules. Well, that's a lie. Week one was dominated by sorting my modules, but I did a couple of other things too. On Wednesday night we went to Winterfest. Me and Adele were the first in to the venue #truefans. It was an outside setup at the university campus. The center piece was a small snowboarding course which hosted a small (I really mean small) competition for us to watch. I've just watched the video back and it looks incredibly slow, but still it was alright.



I also swung by the society fair to join a few clubs. The event wasn't as big as the fresher fair in Nottingham, nor as vibe tingling. But they had a few gems which I found.
  1. Kayaking: I thought I'd check this stall out not really expecting to join. But I couldn't believe how cheap all the gear hire was for a weekend. I guess living in New Zealand it is only right to engage in some sort of water sport. It looks good!
  2. Tramping: No I won't be giving up my roof for a night or two for the streets. Tramping is the NZ equivalent to hiking. So every weekend the club is able they organise tramping trips away from Auckland and explore the area. This is a club I knew I wanted to join before I got on the plane!
  3. International Society: A chance to meet other internationals at socials and go on some trips which will be organised in the near future. One of which is a Skiing trip. If the price is right, it could be a good weekend!
  4. Meat club: Right up my street this one. I've just paid $10 (£5) for the semester and every second Tuesday they hold a free BBQ, all you can eat. What's not to love? Tuesday night meals from now on are sorted!
  5. Vegan Club: I don't know why. It was $1 to sign up and my love of food just took over. If someone else has any ideas why I did this let me know.
  6. The Gym: I'm yet to join in all honesty. But I will. I have quite a few gaps between lectures I can utilise quite well- especially as the gym is right in the center of the campus.
So that appears to be me for the next semester and in between some little trips with friends and some work. I think there's a healthy balance in all of this!

Kia Ora,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment