Nelson Lakes

Nelson Lakes
A beautiful country with beautiful people

Tuesday, 25 November 2014

The Jubias North Island Road Trip

Kia Ora,

We left on the day after I finished my exams, the 12th November. Two cars left Auckland and headed for the infamous (for me at least) Tongariro Crossing. In an unpredicted twist of fate on the day the number of drivers in our car went from three to one, or more precisely, this one. After a (shortish) period away from driving I was a little nervous at first. But a BONUS, at least they drive on the correct side of the road in NZ.

So here's the team sheet. Car one hosted myself, Pauline, Thomas and Josh. Car two held Lina, Sara, Maude and Elizabeth. Our mission, to rendezvous with Julia and Tobias (who will hereby be referred to as Jubias) as they were traveling north.

We arrived late that night and got to see Maudes foster family home. At least briefly. Within minutes the power to the entire electricity to the house went out. As the house was in the middle of nowhere, we had to call somebody out to fix it. The problem turned our to be an old fuse in a nearby pylon. What a night it chose to blow out. Anyway, some of us had fun going back to the hostel to cook and return the food back to the house.

That night we lit the fire, talked in the dark and I effectively married Thomas with a mystery Michelle haha. We also played a few party games, such as this charade like game.

The next day we were warned against the Tongariro Crossing. Yep, it was closed. This time due to the massive snowfall in the area. However we did still manage to complete another walk, just a bit further south of the crossing and we saw the Taranaki Falls and the Tama lakes. The ground was covered in snow, but the weather on the day was really good!



 




The next day sucked. OK, it didn't really but it was very agitating. We stopped at Hobbiton on our way to Coromandel and although this was a brilliant idea I was stumped by a promise made to Dannii. I foolishly promised that I wouldn't go until she arrived. And I kept that promise... Painfully. Six of the group went in whilst the others waited and ate wedges.

And then the group split again and this time it was Lina who we were saying goodbye too. But she's now in Australia with her boyfriend having a great time no doubt! :-)

Me, Pauline, Thomas, Julia and Tobias continued the adventure to Coromandel. We visited Cathedral Cove (the beach in Narnia) and the Hot Water Pools on the night of arrival. We spent the next day climbing an infinite staircase up the the pinnacles. The return trip was roughly 5 hours. Unfortunately, high winds prevented us from getting to the top, so that means I have to go back and do it again!


The final night we spent in the hostel at Thames. We had a really nice fry up prepared expertly by Jubias and took things easy.

We returned on the Sunday. A big Congratualtions go to Pauline and Thomas for surviving more than 1000km with me at the wheel. Though soon there will be much more driving :-)

We returned for Jubias' goodbye meal with everyone back in Auckland. They're now off causing trouble in the Philippines ;-) and I'm sure having a great time!

Kia Ora,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment