Kia Ora!
So last week international students of Auckland were invited to a welcome week put on by the university. I would like to share part of the Maori welcome we received. The video is the last act they performed (of about five) and perhaps a little tamer then the others, but still pretty nice to watch.
The rest of the orientation week was just something of a formality really. Talks on the library, how to use computers, what's on the university website. Standard stuff. There was a talk which stood out though, which of course was about traveling around New Zealand. As well as just being an entertaining couple of hour I also got some good idea's about places to see and how to get there. This is where my budgeting skills really come in to play because I just wanted to do everything! Of course not possible, but there's a lot of planning to do yet!
 |
| Zorb-sumo! |
On Friday night we went to Globe, a bar in the city. This was great for one reason- Zorb sumo! I had to give this a go (though it's not me in the picture I'm afraid). For those who have never heard of Zorb sumo, the basics involve two people putting on a big inflatable ball and then charging at each other. Last man standing wins! I beat Scott (a UK friend from my home university) which was a lot of fun haha. I came undone in the semi-finals though against a beast of an American. I lasted a while and I got knocked in just about every direction and to be honest that was a lot of fun!
On to Saturday- moving in day. As you know I was looking for somewhere to live and after the hard searching I was really excited to have my own place! I've been here for four nights now and I'm really happy with my choice. My flatmates are all nice and I can see we'll have a good time! My room very nearly has a homely feel- yesterday I collected the rest of my stuff from Janet and John which I've now unpacked and yesterday I finally bought some more bedding. Looking good!
On Sunday a group of us explored a museum on the Domain. This place was huge and a fantastic insight in to all eras of New Zealand. Even better still it was free entry! Below are just a few photo's that I took throughout. We didn't have time to see all of it, but as it's not to far away I'm sure we'll be back!
 |
| Domain Museum- Maori hut |
 |
| Domain Museum- Maori style carving |
 |
| Domain Museum- The Moa, the worlds only wingless bird (now extinct) |
 |
| Hall of names for all those who fell in WWII from New Zealand |
 |
| Domain Museum- 1800's style town in NZ |
 |
| The Domain Museum from afar |
But for now, fun and activities will be a little less frequent. It turns out I have to do some work whilst here after all and I have just had three days of introductory lectures. And so the academic journey starts again. But there's still plenty coming up on this adventure! Just wait and see.
Kia Ora!
No comments:
Post a Comment