Nelson Lakes

Nelson Lakes
A beautiful country with beautiful people

Tuesday, 7 October 2014

The Tongan Introduction, Birthday Celebration and Friend Appreciation

Kia Ora,

Another blast from the past few weeks. I'm just capturing the main events :-)

Three weeks ago the university enjoyed Tongan Speaking week and the Tongan Society hosted a series or events. Here's a video of their first showcase, a performance they perform for royalty!


There were events on four of the five week days; me and Josh went to a couple later in the week. On the Thursday we went to a speech contest. Well, we didn't stay long. After we found out the speeches were all in Tongan we decided it may not be that informative haha.

The day after was better suited for us. They held a closing session, a general relaxed performance in the Cultural Space with a mix of dancing, speaking, learning, singing. I've got some great (but lengthy) videos of the performances that I may upload to Youtube in the future for those interested. Afterwards we stuck around for a root drink enjoyed by South Pacific islanders, Kava. It's made by filtering water through the roots of a tree found only in South Pacific islands. It's a social drink so everybody sits in a circle and the cups are passed around. Apparently some spend hours drinking and chatting as it has relaxing qualities (it's sounds a lot like beer, granted). It can also make your tongue tingle and bring about other sensations, but after 7 cups me and Josh were left with just the taste haha. Still, it was nice to meet some new people and learn some new words. Fefe Hake!


On the same night the flat had another birthday- so began Paulines 21st birthday weekend! Turning 21 in Auckland must be really cool! And in the photo you can see her big badge to tell the world! Haha. Also celebrating with Lina and Adrian as they're birthdays were about the same time. A mass of roughly 30 people turned up for Toto's pizza, most of which were international law students (they're a fun bunch and a really big group). The below photo is from further celebrations :-)
Love this photo!

The celebrations continued the night after and we had a party at the flat. And the mystery box (a new essential flat item) got it's first trial with much success. Soph and Matt filled it with with a varied selection of clothing items and more which got handed out to people throughout the night. It was a lot of fun in this quirky flat. Me and Pauline stayed out until pretty late and laughed so much. Even when we got back we ended up hiding suprises for the other flatmates around the house. So funny and three weeks on there are still some to be found! Haha. I joke that she's my second favorite French flatmate, but I'm glad to have met her. We have a good laugh and she's my best friend here! I'm glad she enjoyed her 21st weekend! I don't think there are many photos from it, but there are two great Snapchats from the night! Haha :-)



A bit more catching up to do with the past few weeks. But for now let me say I'm having the time of my life here in Auckland! I'm enjoying it so much more than I thought I ever would. And that's mainly because of the people I am meeting who are all so nice. I know there are people in my blog who haven't even had a mention but I am very happy to have met them! Thank you to everybody I have met so far- you're so wonderful! And to my flatmates as well as I really feel so comfortable living here- I feel really lucky to have moved in somewhere so perfect!

And a thank you to those sending me gifts and postcards from the UK! And those I have spoken to back home no matter how frequently.

Thank you for the Colly mug, Karen! :-D

Kia Ora,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment